Education & Research Fund
What is the AAPM Education and Research Fund?
The AAPM Development Committee was created by a motion passed by the Board of Directors in July, 1989. The Mission Statement gives the following purpose:
- To support Fellowships for Ph.D. students in Medical Physics. Institutions must be accredited by CAMPEP to be eligible to apply. The original goal was $500,000 for this purpose.
- To support clinical Residencies, including seed money for research. Institutions must be accredited by CAMPEP to be eligible to apply. The original goal was $1.5 million for this purpose.
All monies donated to the AAPM Education and Research Fund are irrevocable gifts, and are tax deductible. An initial fund-raising campaign in 1993-1995, together with a very generous gift from the Radiological Society of North America, has now grown (under careful investment management) to just under $1 million.
What has been done so far?
Beginning in 1992, the Development Committee actively sought renewable funding to sponsor Residencies and Fellowships. The Radiological Society of North America has generously supported one pre-doctoral Fellowship on an ongoing basis since 1990. The American Society for Therapeutic Radiation and Oncology has supported two residencies in Clinical Radiation Oncology since 1992. Varian Medical Systems has supported two residencies in Clinical Radiation Oncology since 1993. Elekta Oncology supported one residency in Clinical Radiation Therapy per year from 1998 until 2000. The Development Committee voted to support a second pre-doctoral Fellowship beginning in 1999, supported by revenue from the AAPM Education and Research Fund. A total of 36 Residents and 9 pre-doctoral Fellows have now received support from these programs. A total of 17 different hospitals and academic institutions have participated in these programs. All Residencies are supported by matching funds from the host institution.
How can I get involved?
- Apply for a Fellowship. All Fellowships are awarded to incoming graduate students at academic institutions accredited for their graduate programs in Medical Physics by CAMPEP. The present amount of the award is $18,000 per year.
- Apply for a Residency. All Residencies are awarded to institutions, which match the $18,000 annual award from the sponsor. This support figure is presently under review and may be increased.
- Give to the AAPM Education and Research Fund. All contributions are tax deductible. Larger donations may be designated for specific purposes for fellowships, residencies, travel awards, research or other suitable purpose. Contact a member of the Development Committee (listed below) for further details. Remember: by motion of the Board of Directors at the November, 1999 meeting, notification to the Board of Directors of a Planned Giving bequest will cause a $3000.00 transfer from the AAPM General Fund to the AAPM Education and Research Fund to be made in your name.
- Include the AAPM Education and Research Fund in your personal estate planning. Find out more information on naming AAPM in your will.
- Offer to serve on the Development Committee, Awards Selection Subcommittee or Planned Giving Subcommittee, chaired by Jean St. Germain.
Who is on the AAPM Development Committee?You can find the roster of members of the AAPM Development Committee on the AAPM Committee Tree.
Who has Recieved the Award in the Past?
A list of Award Recipients can be found here.
Who has Contributed to the Fund?
A list of Education Fund Donors can be found here.