Encrypted login | home

Passports & Visas

Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law.  Please see the CBSA’s website for details.  Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport, passport card or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport.  Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

United States Visitors to Canada, when re-entering the U.S., must show a passport or other travel documents as approved by the Department of Homeland Security. Please Do not leave the U.S. without your passport or other approved travel documents.

International visitors to Canada (not US citizens or US permanent residents) must carry a valid passport and, if required, a visa. Citizens from the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Australia and some other countries do not require a visa to enter Canada. Visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website for a complete list of countries whose citizens require visas to enter Canada.

All other visitors should contact their Canadian embassy or consulate to learn what documents are required. Contact information for Canadian embassies around the world can be found at the Foreign Affairs Canada website.

Visitors are advised that if they are travelling through a third country, they may also need visas or other documents for that country.

For further information, please visit travel.state.gov.