Virtual Press Room
Welcome to the AAPM 59th Annual Meeting & Exhibition
The American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) welcomes media coverage of posters, abstracts and presentations at the 2017 Annual Meeting and Exhibition. While there will not be an official newsroom onsite, qualified media may attend at no charge with the intention of reporting on news from the meeting. Registration is required to obtain a press badge that will allow entry to all scientific presentations and technical exhibits. Advance registration is strongly encouraged and contact information is provided below.
Please review the Media Guidelines and again, welcome to the AAPM 59th Annual Meeting and Exhibition.
About AAPM and Medical Physicists
The American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) is the premier organization in medical physics, a broadly-based scientific and professional discipline encompassing physics principles and applications in biology and medicine whose mission is to advance the science, education and professional practice of medical physics. Medical physicists contribute to the effectiveness of radiological imaging procedures by assuring radiation safety and helping to develop improved imaging techniques (e.g., mammography CT, MR, Ultrasound). They contribute to development of therapeutic techniques (e.g., prostate implants, stereotactic radiosurgery), collaborate with radiation oncologists to design treatment plans, and monitor equipment and procedures to ensure that cancer patients receive the prescribed dose of radiation to the correct location. Medical physicists are responsible for ensuring that imaging and treatment facilities meet the rules and regulations of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and various state regulatory agencies. AAPM represents over 8,500 medical physicists.
AAPM (www.aapm.org) is a scientific, educational, and professional organization of more than 8,000 medical physicists. Headquarters are located in Alexandria, VA. Publications include a scientific journal ("Medical Physics"), technical reports, and symposium proceedings.
Journalists are asked to abide by embargoes noted on all media materials for the AAPM Meeting and not report on the research prior to the embargoed date and time of an abstract being presented or a news announcement being made.
Audio and video recording by individuals other than the AAPM Meeting photographer is prohibited without prior permission from Elizabeth Johnson, Frost Miller, at least 48 hours in advance. Per AAPM exhibit policies, AAPM Meeting exhibitors have the right to prevent competitors from gaining access to, photographing, videotaping, or otherwise recording their exhibits or presentations.
Distribution of printed materials during the show is prohibited. Literature bins are available for the distribution of printed materials. Please seek AAPM Meeting authorization prior to stocking the literature bin with promotional materials.
Members of the media are prohibited from placing signs in the convention center or in any hotel used by the AAPM Meeting to house attendees.
Please note there will not be an official newsroom in Denver. We welcome qualified media to register and attend for the purpose of reporting news from the meeting. Members of the media requesting registration for the AAPM Meeting must be currently employed by and/or on assignment for a recognized news organization.
Individuals who do not qualify for complimentary media registration include, but are not limited to the following:
- Book authors
- Freelance writers not on assignment or employed by non-news organizations
- Non-editorial employees of news organizations (including CEOs, presidents, vice presidents, publishers, associate/assistant publishers, advertising, marketing, public relations or sales staff)
- Companies/organizations producing publications, videos and/or other items for the purpose of marketing, advertising, financial analysis or public relations
- Consultants who develop, write or edit a corporate newsletter or similar publication for their own firm or another firm
- Financial analysts and consultants
Registration can be obtained using the Media Registration Form.
To submit the form, please follow these steps:
1) Download the form
2) Complete the requested information
3) Submit the form
Upon approval, you will receive a confirmation email.
Information for online media:
AAPM is committed to working with online journalists that reach their audience via websites and who also provide original, editorial news coverage on a regular basis.
- Editorial content must be independent of advertising/sponsorship.
- An editorial board must oversee the site and its contents.
- Advertising must be identified as such.
- If the website is sponsored, the site must have multiple sponsors. All sponsors must be identified as such.
- The site must appear on and be tracked by commercial media databases.
- Online media must provide links to their website and sample of recent articles.